Dudley Castle is a ruined fortification in the town of Dudley, West Midlands, England.
According to legend, a wooden castle was constructed on the site in the 8th
century by a Saxon lord called Dud. However, this legend has not been not taken seriously by historians, who usually date the castle from soon after the Norman Conquest of 1066. It is thought one of the Conqueror’s followers, Ansculf de Picquigny, built the first castle in 1070 and that his son, William Fitz-Ansculf, was in possession of the castle when it was recorded
at the time of the Domesday Book of 1086. Some of the earthworks from this castle, notably the “motte”, the vast mound on which the present castle keep now sits, still remain. However, the earliest castle would have been of wooden construction and no longer exists.
- Matilda Clifford 1442-1484
- Isabel De Cherleton 1308-1397
- John Sutton II abt 1304-1359
- Edmund Sutton 1425-1483